Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Happy, Happy, Happy!

I promise this is the last pillow I'll be sharing....unless, of course, I find more burlap pillow covers on clearance:)



I was inspired by a pillow I saw on Pinterest to create the poppies from felt circles and black buttons.  I simply die cut the circles using my Cuttlebug and Spellbinder Nesties (Standard Circle Large) from red felt I had picked up at JoAnn's to use on my cards.  I've found that 100% acrylic premium felt die cuts just as well as wool felt and it's really cheap - I paid less than 2 bucks (after a 25% off coupon) for 1/4 yard.  I could make a field of felt poppies with what I have leftover:)  The "stems" were stitched with green embroidery thread.  I used a  "happy" die from the WPlus 9 "Happy Trio" to cut the "happy's" from the same red felt and then adhered them to the burlap pillow cover (only $1.39 on clearance!) with fabric glue.  Finished size is 12" x 16".

We have an enclosed back porch -built when glass jalousie blinds were all the rage (must've been a man who designed them as they are a total pain to clean!) - where I loooooove to read, make cards and think nap in the summer.  Nothing fancy - just old slip covered furniture and cast-offs.  Last year I spray painted some old wooden lamp bases bright red and topped them with burlap drum shades and scattered about some bright red and yellow pillows and knick knacks.  My poppy pillow really expresses the vibe I feel when I spend time on my porch - Happy! Happy! Happy! 

Gotta share a pic of what we woke up to this morning:



Can somebody tell mother nature Spring begins in 2 days???

6 comments:

Greta said...

I was wondering if you got more snow, Robin--beautiful, but I know you're ready for Spring! Please don't stop sharing your pillows--bet you'll make more as these are just fabulous! The felt by the yard must be different than the little craft squares at JoAnn's--at least I can't get the cheap stuff to cut, so went to using the wool. Wish we were closer so you could help me with projects like this! Sending warm, sunny hugs from Oregon!

Nancy said...

Adorable pillow! Don't even get me started on that snow!!!! It is cold again too! Come on sunshine!

Lin said...

OH NO! (to the snow!) But I really love your pillow and your enclosed porch sounds like a wonderful room!

Rosemary said...

Dang that pillow is cute, cute, cute, Robin! Sorry about the snow! I really hope it goes away soon!

joy said...

How adorable is that pillow??? LOVE it, Robin! So cheerful and I know it will look fabulous on your porch. I really enjoy my porch when it is warm enough to be out. It's not enclosed, but I can spend hours there reading and listening to the birds sing.

Please do keep sharing your beautiful projects with us!!

Nancy K said...

I'm sending you lots of sunshine from So Cal, we have plenty enough to melt that nasty snow! I love your super cute pillow! I never thought to use word dies like this, but I will now! Your summer sanctuary room sounds delightful, do share some pics! Happy Spring, Robin!