Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Cut Above (Bonus Day) and PDCC128


Saturday was a pleasant surprise as the online card class A Cut Above featured a bonus class about utilizing negative spaces from die cuts.

I decided to use the colors from the current Play Date Cafe Color Challenge for my card:


I just love how these vibrant colors pop against white:


Notice how the die cut bird is flush with the stamped panel?  Wish I could take credit for this genius idea but it's a technique I saw on Jennifer McGuire's blog :)  Love how this gives the card some dimension without the added bulk. 
Materials Used:  Hero Arts Snow layering paper, Hero Arts CL428 Earth Flowers, Paper Smooches Sentiment Sampler (looooove the font), Memory Box Perched Reed Bird Die, A Muse gingham pp, Ranger Spiced Marmalade and Worn Lipstick distress inks, Stampin' Up Melon Mambo textured cs, Michael's black pearl, Martha Stewart Score Board

Hope your week is going well!  Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :)

18 comments:

Anette said...

Gorgeous, Robin!!! I saw this on Jennifer's blog too, LOVE the look!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Simply Beautiful!

Nancy said...

Gorgeous is right! Love this!

Lisa said...

Bold and beautiful card, Robin!! I love that slick little die cut trick- looks awesome!! This class looks like it's really good. Wish I could have taken it, but am tied up in a Copic class at the moment :)

Rosemary said...

gorgeous card, robin... love the bright, vibrant colors and the design of your card!

Lin said...

What a gorgeous combination!! I'm CASE-ing this for sure!

Stacy said...

Amazing card, loving that background! Thanks for playing along with us at The play Date Cafe!

Barb said...

I've been wanting to try that technique with the die cut placed back into the negative space - so cool looking! Gorgeous card, Robin! :)

Jinny Newlin said...

Oh, Robin, this is amazing! LOVE that heathery background, and you're so right about that sweet, little, die cut bird! LOVE! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at The Play Date Cafe!

Winnie said...

Very cool card you made using the technique. I love the colors you used. Adorable bird.

Michelle said...

Holy smokes!!! Robin, I love this!!! The background you created is beautiful and I love that sweet bird!! :)

joy said...

This is a fabulous card, Robin! You have used the colors so nicely; love that combo! I, too, saw that on Jennifer's blog and thought it was so neat. And, I just got that adorable bird die in my hands today, so I will have to start playing with hime soon!

Sanne said...

Beautiful job Robin! Very effective colors....

Darnell said...

Congrats on being The Cream in Our Coffee at PDCC!

Brenda said...

Those earth flowers looks wonderful in those bold colors! Love how you did the birdie die! A beautiful card Robin!

Greta said...

Love, love, love this card, Robin! I have the Earth Flowers & struggle with how to use them. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm going to check out Jennifer's technique--ingenious!

maria f. said...

What a clever card. And using those super funky colors. Thanks for the tip about the die cut (I have that little guy and love him). I think your black gingham ribbon sets the scene off perfectly.

jintyoo7 said...

FABULOUS, Robin - this is a great technique and I was very inspired to use it too - just love your vivacious colours :)